-150 grams egg whites
-300 grams granulated sugar
-Food coloring (gel based only)
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a simmer. Preheat oven to 190 degrees Fahrenheit .
- In your metal mixing bowl combine the egg whites and sugar. Place the bowl over the simmering water and whisk constantly until the sugar has dissolved. This usually takes about 3-4 minutes. You can also test if the sugar has dissolved by rubbing a bit of the mixture with your finger tips, it shouldn’t feel grainy.
- Remove bowl from the heat and with the whisk attachment beat on the highest setting for 7-10 minutes. The meringue will be very glossy and will hold its shape (stiff peaks). Add the vanilla extract and food coloring and beat until combined.
- Transfer to a large pastry bag fitted with a pastry tip of your choice and pipe away!
- Bake at 190 degrees for an hour to an hour and half, depending on the size of meringues. I like my meringues more marshmallow-ey on the inside but if you prefer it fully dry then you should bake longer.