Krembo- a popular Israeli dessert that consists of a cookie base with marshmallow fluff like cream on top and its coated in chocolate. I grew up LOVING these little treats so making them was so nostalgic for me. They typically are made with a shortbread cookie but I wanted to change them up a bit so I made a brown butter chocolate chip-less cookie as the base. The "marshmallow fluff" is simply Swiss meringue that is flavored with instant coffee powder. I think what makes these treats so popular is all the wonderful elements it consists of.
Recipe yields- 18-19 krembos
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip-Less Cookie
140 grams unsalted butter (about 10 TBS)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tsps vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
210 grams all purpose flour (1 3/4 cups)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
flaky sea salt for sprinkling
Coffee Swiss Meringue
100 grams egg whites (3 eggs)
175 grams granulated sugar (1 cup)
1/2 TBS instant coffee powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
255 grams chocolate chips (1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 TBS coconut oil
For the cookie:
- Cook butter in a medium saucepan over medium- low heat, stirring often, until it foams, then browns, 5–8 minutes. This step is crucial! Be sure to keep an eye on your butter so it doesn’t burn. You want it to turn amber in color.
- Once cooked place butter in a large mixing bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add sugars, egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract, mix.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Do not overmix.
- Scoop one tablespoon sized balls and place them on a parchment lined baking tray at least 1 1/2" apart from each other. (these cookies will be smaller than your average cookies)
- preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges of cookies are golden brown.
For the meringue:
- Combine egg whites, sugar, and instant coffee powder in the heatproof bowl of a standing mixer set over a pan of simmering water to create a double boiler. Whisk constantly by hand until mixture is warm to the touch and sugar has dissolved. Mixture should reach 160 degrees F.
- Attach the bowl to the mixer and mix on the highest setting for about 5-7 minutes until you reach stiff glossy peaks. Lastly add vanilla extract.
Transfer meringue into a piping bag fitted with a large round piping tip. Pipe three rounds over each cookie so it forms a pyramid. Once all the cookies have been piped place tray in the freezer for at least 3 hours.
Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe cup that is large enough to dip each cookie. Microwave in 30 second intervals mixing in between each interval until it has completely melted.
Leave the tray filled with cookies in the freezer and take one cookie out as you are about to dip it. This will ensure each one is frozen before dipping.
Store krembos in the fridge for up to a week.