Once you have homemade marshmallows I can promise you that you will never want to go back to store bought. The taste and texture is night and day! These marshmallows have a soft gooey vanilla flavor that feels like you are biting into a fluffy cloud.
21g unflavored gelatin (around 3 packets )
1 cup cold water (divided)
1 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
2 tsps vanilla extract
2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
1 tsp coconut oil
Things you’ll need:
Candy thermometer or infrared thermometer
cake pop sticks
- Generously Grease an 8"x8" square pan with non stick spray.
- Combine gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water in your stand mixer. Set aside to fully bloom.
- In a small saucepan combine 1/2 cup of water, light corn syrup, sugar, and salt place on medium high heat and let it cook. You do not need to stir it around. Let the mixture come to 240 degrees. You can use a candy thermometer or thermometer gun to check. This can take anywhere from 7-15 minutes. Always check the temp.
- With the whisk attachment, turn your mixture on low speed. Once your syrup reaches 240 slowly pour it down the side of the bowl. Gradually increase the speed to high. Continue to whip till it becomes very thick and nearly triples in size around 5-8 minutes.
- Towards the end add vanilla.
- Pour mixture onto pan. Use a lightly oiled spatula to spread evenly.
- Dust powdered sugar all over the top. Let it sit uncovered at room temp for about 4 hours.
- Generously dust your counter top with confectioners sugar and turn marshmallows onto it.
- Cut in 1.5” squares. Tip: to get nice clean cuts grease your knife before each slice. Also wipe it down after each slice.
- In a microwave safe cup add chocolate and coconut oil. Melt in the microwave for 30 second intervals stirring in between each interval until chocolate has fully melted.
- Dip Popsicle stick slightly in chocolate and poke into marshmallow. Repeat till all the marshmallows have sticks in them. Place them in the fridge for 10-15 minutes so chocolate fully sets.
- Once chocolate is hardened on marshmallow dip each marshmallow fully into chocolate.
- Let the marshmallows fully set before moving them. Store them in an airtight container for up to 1 week.